Daddy update

Okay, so, here’s what happened that led up to my dad’s recent hospitalisation…

I was getting ready to head out to meet a couple of friends for a movie, then I would assume suddenly my dad started having trouble breathing ’cause my mum called me over. When I got to the room they were in, my dad was taking really heavy laboured breaths. Imagine that you’ve just finished running a marathon or something and you’re panting, but harder. At first, we thought maybe phlegm was obstructing his passage way or something, so we rolled him onto his side and tried ‘patting’ his back like the way old people like to do with your palm cupped to try to get the phlegm out. No use. Propped him up into a sitting position and he calmed down slightly. Mum measured his blood pressure and realised that it had dipped. After contemplating for awhile, my mum decided to called the ambulance. Paramedics came took blood pressure blablabla and then whisked him off to the hospital where we were told he has pneumonia and will have to be admitted.

So now the dad is comfortably sleeping with an oxygen mask on to help him breathe better. He looks much more at ease now than he was back home. Probably ’cause he doesn’t need to struggle to breathe and they’ve given him something to control the chest pains (pneumonia can be really painful!). I haven’t heard him ‘ah’ or anything that shows signs of discomfort yet, so all’s good! Not sure when he will be able to be discharged yet, at the moment the focus is to tackle the infection of the lungs first. Guess he might have to be in the hospital for awhile till the infection clears up.

It is now 5.30am and I’m at the hospital to entertain my dad in case he’s awake (my dad seems to be living in the US timezone or something, he is awake at weird hours, like, 1am-ish and sleeps during the day). I was here in the afternoon, left at around 10.00pm, took a shower, watched some TV and then returned to the hospital at 2.00am-ish and I feel like having some bubble tea. Mum is currently resting at home. The brother managed to get out of camp to see the dad too, but have to book in again in the evening today. Tsk tsk, NS boy. At least they let him out.


Tagged: ,

7 thoughts on “Daddy update

  1. JASMINE July 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm Reply

    midnight’s good, enjoy your private time with him without the crowd around ha ha ha

  2. Karen July 29, 2010 at 2:10 am Reply

    I went to see him in the afternoon today… he looks good (ur bro said he looks betta today than yday) He was quite alert when we talked to him.
    He seemed like he has a lot to talk to us coz he “ah” a lot of times and wanting to take off the oxygen mask 🙂

  3. Karen July 29, 2010 at 2:13 am Reply

    Thanks Elaine for updating ur blog regularly coz i will alwys try to get news of ur dad by reading it 😉

  4. paulyn August 2, 2010 at 1:37 am Reply

    take care on ur flight back to australia

  5. paulyn August 6, 2010 at 1:33 am Reply

    heyhey…how was ur paper today?

  6. paulyn September 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm Reply

    heyhey…congrats on passing the retake. wat a relief!

    • Laine September 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm Reply

      Thanks, thanks! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: